Monday, July 14, 2008

As a work at home mom for some time now, and even working at home before I became a mom, I've found that there are countless myths that people seem to have about mom's who work at home. Here are the top 5 myths about work at home moms that I think need to be dispelled.

Myth #1 - It's Not a Real Job - How may times have I heard people say that working at home is not a real job? How insulting!!! Working at home is like working two jobs at the same time. Instead of working for 8 hours a day, it seems you're always on call, putting 12 and 14 hour days in, which you have to do to account for the breaks you take to make dinner, do some cleaning, and attack that pile of laundry that seems to never end. Get real folks - this is REAL job!!!!!

Myth #2 - Soap Operas and Long Naps - While I have posted about the value of the power nap, all work at home moms know that there's a lot more too this thing than Soap Operas and long naps. Yeah, if only it was that easy. You say "work at home" and people automatically think it is code for "sit on my butt all day." I've got news for you all, this is not the way it works.

Myth #3 - You're at Home...So You Have Time to Do Me a Favor - Oh, isn't this just a classic one. How many of you have been working hard and trying to keep the kids happy and you get a phone call..."Hey, can you pick up my package at the post office for me, since you're home and all..." This is the point where I explode. Do people not get the idea that we work? I have a job, and time off costs me money. Just because I work at home doesn't mean I have the time to go do favors for everyone else.

Myth #4 - It's an Easy Job - Over and over again I've been asked about what I do at home, and people always seem to think that working at home is some easy way to get rich. They want me to get them into what I do, not realizing the work that goes behind being successful at a work at home job. It's not easy, it takes work...so, if you're lazy, don't even think about it.

These are my top four myths, and hopefully they have now been dispelled!!! Anyone else have any other idea? I'd love to hear them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment